Most of us have memories of going to the dentist as a child. These memories probably included the chalky toothpaste and whirring toothbrush leaving your teeth pearly white, and of course the less fun x-rays and poking around looking for for cavities. Maybe you remember visits for those wonderful and embarrassing braces. For most of us, the dentist is there to keep our teeth healthy and make sure we don’t have any problems that lead to pain or tooth loss. But, do you know that your dentist today can do a lot more for you?
Why do People Need Cosmetic Dentistry?
You may find that a cosmetic dentist can help with a host of dental issues that come up over time. Some of the reasons people turn to cosmetic dentistry are to improve their looks and aesthetic appeal, while other people may need a cosmetic dentist for mechanical or oral health reasons. If you’re wondering if a visit with a cosmetic dentist is right for you, read some of the reasons why someone might need a cosmetic dentist:
A Cosmetic Dentist Can Give You a Better Smile
There is a myriad of aesthetic issues that a cosmetic dentist can help with that relate to a person’s smile. A few of these issues include:
- A Cosmetic Dentist can Whiten Teeth: Some people have strong stains on their teeth from a variety of cause from smoking to drinking soda, coffee, or tea. People may feel self-conscious about the stains on their teeth and subconsciously avoid enjoyable situations like sharing meals, laughing and talking with friends. With the help of a cosmetic dentist, stained teeth can be restored to look fresh and white once again.
- A Cosmetic Dentist can Fix Chipped or Broken Teeth: A cosmetic dentist is also capable of helping people who have chipped or broken their teeth. Some people have unfortunate accidents or weakened teeth that result in the complete or partial loss of a tooth, making them unhappy with the appearance of their smile. A cosmetic dentist can apply caps, porcelain veneers, dental bridges, or other treatments to restore missing or broken teeth to their full and natural appearance.
- A Cosmetic Dentist can Contour Teeth: Some people do not like the shape of certain teeth or need one or more teeth to be contoured to fit the teeth around it and the shape of the patient’s mouth. A cosmetic dentist is able to contour teeth.
See a Cosmetic Dentist for your Health
While some of the reasons for needing a cosmetic dentist relate to appearance and self-confidence, other problems are directly related to oral health. Some of the important health reasons to see a cosmetic dentist are:
- A Cosmetic Dentist can Straighten Teeth: Whether or not someone had braces to straighten their teeth as a child, there are other issues with a person’s teeth alignment that arise during adulthood. If the teeth aren’t straight, it can be challenging to adequately clean the teeth. This makes it easier for cavities to develop, giving rise to numerous oral health problems. Options for teeth straightening include traditional metal braces and Invisalign, or removable, clear braces. Contouring can help correct misshapen teeth that are not misaligned.
- A Cosmetic Dentist can Help with Implants: If someone is missing a tooth, there are numerous options available. A patient can elect to have a fixed porcelain bridge or a complete implant. Having an implant placed can help make it easier for someone to chew while also helping to keep their teeth in the proper location.
- A Cosmetic Dentist can Treat Speech Issues: Crooked or missing teeth can make it difficult for someone to speak properly because people use their teeth and their tongue to articulate sounds and words. If a patient is struggling with these issues, a cosmetic dentist may be able to provide treatment options to move the teeth into positions that allow someone to speak in a clear manner.
- A Cosmetic Dentist can Help with Sensitive Teeth: Some people have overly sensitive teeth that send painful shocks throughout their mouth when they eat foods or drink liquids at hot or cold temperatures. This may be a result of microscopic gaps that develop in the surface of the tooth, exposing the underlying material, dentin, which sends signals to the nerves in your teeth. For people who struggle with this issue, a cosmetic dentist may be able to help by restoring the surface of the sensitive tooth.
In the end, these are only a few of the reasons to see a cosmetic dentist. Without a doubt, a healthy, white smile can restore self-esteem and confidence to enjoy the simple things in life again like food and friends. Of course, a cosmetic dentist can also make tasks like chewing, talking, and brushing easier, and help patients maintain their oral health in the process. Either way, to make the most of your dental health, make it a habit to visit a dentist regularly. You’ll enjoy a better smile for years to come. For more information on how cosmetic dentistry can help, give Dr. Medina in Las Vegas a call or contact us today.
Dr. Medina is a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS). Advanced General Dentistry, with a practice in Las Vegas Nevada since 1988. He offers general and family dentistry, with a specialization in cosmetic and restorative dental services.